Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Feeling like a cheater...

I received my first official request for cupcakes last week from one of my small group girls (sorry mom but you don't really count). She saw my Betty Crocker cook book on my counter that I keep out for decoration - oh who am I kidding - I'm a cupcake freak. Anyway the book was turned to the Molten Chocolate Cupcake recipe and she says "So we are going to make those, right? And by we I mean you." I replied yes and of course the freak that am I made them one week later - today. The reason I feel like a cheater is because the recipe is a box cake mix and CANNED icing! Some stove top ganache action is involved so there is some skill level. And that skill is not burning the chocolate which I succeeded at. Go me! Since the recipe is not from scratch I thought I should at least "decorate". I didn't feel these cupcakes needed a lot of icing given the potential for chocolate overload so I decided to do the whole cut the tip of the bag and make a fancy swirl. Mistake! What a mess refilling the icing bag! Cupcake swirls require lots of icing so there was no way I would have enough for all 24 cupcakes either. (Wilton buttercream icing would have been better - just saying) Needless to say I took my picture of the cupcakes with a pretty swirl and moved on to just icing with a metal spatula. New additions this week included a cookie scoop and a 3 tier cupcake stand. Wow the cookie scoop is a big time saver and less messy than any pour or regular spoon trick. The picture of the stand speaks for itself I believe. I will add the recipe soon and in the mean time you can google it - just look up ole' Betty Crocker!

Recipe:

3/4 cup whipping cream
1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1 box Betty Crocker® SuperMoist® devil's food cake mix
1 box (4-serving size) chocolate fudge instant pudding and pie filling mix
1 1/4 cups water
1/2 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs
1 container Betty Crocker® Rich & Creamy chocolate frosting
Powdered sugar
Sliced strawberries

 In 1-quart saucepan, heat whipping cream over medium-high heat until hot but not boiling. Stir in chocolate chips until melted and mixture is smooth. Refrigerate about 1 hour, stirring occasionally, until thick.
Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour 24 large (2 3/4x1 1/4-inch) muffin cups (dark or nonstick pans not recommended). In large bowl, beat cake mix, pudding mix, water, oil and eggs with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds, then on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl constantly. Place 1/4 cup batter in each muffin cup. Spoon 1 tablespoon cold chocolate mixture on top of batter in center of each cup.
Bake 20 to 23 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Cool 1 minute. Carefully remove from pan; place on cooking parchment paper. Cool 10 minutes. Frost with chocolate frosting. Just before serving, sprinkle with powdered sugar. Garnish with strawberry slices. Serve warm. Store loosely covered.

Go Dawgs!
Look at that swirl!

No comments:

Post a Comment