Sunday, December 4, 2011

Biscoff Cupcakes

Anyone heard of Biscoff spread? Well it is a delicious spread made of Biscoff cookies and is produced in Belgium. The consistency is similar to peanut butter and it is very rich. I learned about it while reading the Beantown Baker blog. I began by eating the spread on apples as suggested on the jar. Then I had some chocolate cupcakes in the freezer and decided to try out this recipe. I'm so glad I did too.

However, I'm still trying to figure out the whole "cone method". My parents gave me a cupcake plunger for Christmas and I decided to finally try it out. Well things did not go smoothly. The directions seem easy but it was difficult to make a hollowed out space. I think this was because either 1. I was using cupcakes that were just out of the freezer or 2. the chocolate cupcakes were too sticky. I gave up on the plunger and tried the cone method with a knife. It was a little easier with the knife. I'm not totally giving up on the plunger though. Next time I will try fresh out of the oven cupcakes and maybe vanilla would be a better option. I highly suggest if you make these that you add a pinch of salt to the Biscoff center as the recipe indicates. At first I thought this was odd but I rolled with it and can't imagine what it would taste like without the salt.

The end result is what matters most. These cupcakes received the seal of approval from my parents.

Chocolate Biscoff Cupcakes
12 of your favorite chocolate cupcakes, completely cooled - I used this recipe
1 batch Biscoff frosting - recipe below
Biscoff spread
Sea salt

Once cupcakes are completely cooled, use the
cone method to remove a portion of the cupcake.

Scoop ~1 tsp of Biscoff spread into each cupcake. Sprinkle a scant 1/8 tsp of sea salt (or a heavy pinch) on top of the spread. Replace the top of the cupcake.

Pipe Biscoff frosting on top of cupcakes. Store in fridge.

Biscoff Frosting:
1 (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup Biscoff Spread
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Beat the cream cheese in a mixer for 2 minutes until smooth.

Add the Biscoff spread and beat until completely combined.

Add the powdered sugar and vanilla. Turn the mixer on the lowest setting until powdered sugar is mostly mixed in. Turn mixer up to med and beat for 1-2 minutes. Store in refrigerator until ready to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment