Thursday, November 10, 2011

Chai Latte Cupcakes

I love chai lattes! I enjoy the lattes at Starbucks, J. Christopher's, and other restaurants. When reading some of my favorite blogs I got inspired to make these cupcakes. While searching for chai tea at Trader Joes I found chai latte instant mix. Even if you don't want to bake these cupcakes I highly recommend that you head to TJs and pick up this mix!

None of the recipes I found mentioned using a mix so I had to google search and located a recipe from ole' Betty Crocker herself. Ya'll know how I feel about box cake mixes and frosting in a can. I was hesitant to try this recipe but felt it may be the only way to try out the instant Chai Latte mix. So I met Betty half way and made the frosting from scratch. And truth be told I could not find a French Vanilla mix from Ms. Crocker so I resorted to the old stand by - Duncan Hines - which is preferred by Wilton. There is even a Wilton logo on the box. I had some left over white Wilton recipe buttercream in the freezer and added 2 one ounce squares of melted white chocolate. Needless to say I was a little nervous about these cupcakes. This was my first time to add melted chocolate to frosting and there was no telling how the cupcakes were going to turn out either. From the Betty Crocker recipe I knew I had to work fast when piping. I think the chocolate reshaped my tip but that could have just been from me trying to get it out of the bag. Whoops! (No worries I reshaped it.)

How do you like this fancy photo? The frosting looks like little puffs of steam. Love it! These cupcakes are pretty mouth watering and suprisingly good for a box mix. I think the white chocolate buttercream helps. Man oh man is that stuff rich! Be ware you may have a foodgasm!

Ingredients:

Cake
1 box Betty Crocker® SuperMoist® French vanilla cake mix
Water, vegetable oil and eggs called for on cake mix box
 
1 package (1.1 oz) instant chai tea latte mix (or 3 tablespoons from larger container)
Frosting (my version)

2 (1 oz) squares of white baking chocolate

1 Wilton recipe buttercream (you probably will not use the whole recipe)


New little cupcake container

Step 1: Heat oven to 350°F (325°F for dark or nonstick pans). Place paper baking cup in each of 24 regular-size muffin cups.

Step 2: Make and bake cake mix as directed on box for 24 cupcakes. Cool in pans 10 minutes; remove from pans to cooling rack. Cool completely, about 30 minutes.

Step 3: In medium microwavable bowl, microwave baking chips on High 30 seconds; stir until melted. If necessary, microwave 15 seconds longer. Stir until smooth; cool 5 minutes. Stir in frosting until well blended.

Step 4: Immediately spread or pipe frosting mixture on cupcakes. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Store loosely covered.

I did sprinkle a few of mine with cinnamon but failed to take a picture to share with you. You know what sprinkled cinnamon looks like, don't you? If you don't then you are going to find out when you make these scrumpcious things. Let me give you a tip though - don't use a spoon to sprinkle. It will be too much cinnamon or at least that is my opinion. I do not have a small sifter so I opted to use my fingers. Nothing wrong with getting a little messy.

Happy Baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment